I have reviewed a lot of online Best-In-Class accounting systems.
Some of these make very simple - they give a possibility to count Sale tax (most probably - exactly for VAT) in purchases. It is not full VAT-system yet but it simplifies tax accounting.
By the way, the common VAT-accounting in EU countries differentiates:
- Sales within their own country (by VAT rate, %) (turnover and tax amounts)
- Sales in other EU countries
-- Sale of goods to other EU countries (turnover amount)
-- Sale of services in other EU countries (turnover amount)
-- Exports of goods (turnover amount)
-- Exports of services (turnover amount)
- VAT sums on purchases within the country (tax amount)
- Purchases from other EU countries
-- Purchase of goods from other EU countries 0% (turnover amount)
-- Purchase of services from other EU countries 0% (turnover amount)
-- Purchases from other EU countries with the obligation to pay VAT (by VAT rate, %) (turnover amount)
- Imports of goods and services (turnover amount)
I mean it may be realized without any complicated changes.
It will be better than nothing.