Licenses with physical dongles and Virtual Machines

Discussing the best practices of 1C:Enterprise implementation, sharing the business-level of 1C:Enterprise implementation experience.

People who like this:0Yes/0No
Just came
Rating: 0
Company: BIO-RAD

Dear all,

We have one old 1C:Entreprise v8.2 and the current licensing scheme is relying on physical dongles.

We were thinking of virtualizing the 1C server.  I was wondering if any of you have ever used a USB to Network adaptor (like USB Network Gate).
If Yes, is it working properly?  Is there any other option for virtualizing the server (except upgrade)?

Thanks for your feedback.

David.

Just came
Company: NEW Projecting Sp. z o.o.

We used USB over Network.
with success, even thru internet, it worked many months without single fail.
In version 8.3 You can have separate license server on physical machine, but I haven't tested it in production environment yet.

Interested
Rating: 32
Company: Abaco Soluciones S.A.

We are using external server for licensing. The downfall is that it should be running 100% of time. And to have a backup I need to buy more licenses.

Active user
1C:Professional
Rating: 6
Company: 1C Company

The decision you are talking about is acceptable and we have seen systems successfully working this way. ​Most probably everything is going to be all right but there is at list one issue you'd better consider before making a decision. The thing is that to work properly dongle has to have a good response time. Therefore we usually recommend do NOT plug it into any working server (1C, DBMS and so on) which can be a subject to heavy workload and can have not enough resources to provide quick access to dongle.

The much better way is to use a separate computer (not necessarily the server - workstation is enough) which only duty is to serve as "dongle server". When you use virtual environment you basically have no way to guaranty that dongle will response fast enough when there is a heavy workload.
So if there is any possibility to allocate a stand-alone physical computer inside the same network - it's a better choice.

Interested
Rating: 32
Company: Abaco Soluciones S.A.

Konstantin, with stand-alone physical computer inside the same network there is another problem: it can die any time. There is no redundancy in desktop PCs. To me it should be like industrial controller with just one function - License offering.

Edited: Alexey Gerasimov - Apr 10, 2014 09:46 AM

Active user
1C:Professional
Rating: 6
Company: 1C Company

Given the problem specifications (physical dongle only) I cannot see completely reliable solution. Even if you use virtual environment you cannot provide 100% up time of dongle (which is still single physical device)

Timofey Bugaevsky

There is a virtualization technology when you have several physical servers running the virtual environment and having one or more virtual machines managed by it.

Just came
Company:

I have used a trial version of Flexihub (https://www.flexihub.com/digital-signature-usb-dongle-sharing.html) and it works well over LAN & WAN internet. I will likely buy it unless a Raspberry Pi can provide a similar function - I'm told it can.

Just came
Company: volan software & technologies

hello

i am josh rogers
i am new here
just created my account

Subscribe