BIOCAD has implemented a subsystem of material and technical support of production based on the "1C:ERP Enterprise Management" solution. The uniqueness of the project is a complex scheme for consolidating information from geographically distributed production sites and company offices around the world. As a result of the project, a mechanism for the material and technical support of research activities was introduced throughout the enterprise. The information system maintains up-to-date information on warehouse balances in laboratories, which allows purchasing managers to quickly meet the needs for a specific project. This mechanism has reduced the time labor costs of employees by 15%. The functionality of maintaining minimum balances in the warehouses increased the planning accuracy of inventory levels by 19%.
BIOCAD is an international innovative biotechnology company that combines a research center, pharmaceutical and biotechnological production, preclinical and international clinical trials. It is one of the few companies with a full cycle of drug development: from molecular sourcing to mass production and marketing support. The company employs 2,200 people, more than 700 of which are scientists and researchers. Offices are located in the USA, Finland, Brazil, China, India, and other countries.
Before the implementation of the project
The management decided to modify the "1C:ERP Enterprise Management" information system due to the fact that the growth of production volumes and the scale of research activities was difficult to support using the existing methodology (one-time requests from each department without using such support mechanisms as "Formation of orders according to needs" and “Collateral Status”). They needed functionality that would allow massively work out various types of needs and track the status of each warehouse.
- To support the growth of production volumes and the scale of research activities.
- To implement the functionality of maintaining irreducible stock of various goods and materials for continuous production and research.
- To organize the function of consolidating requirements from various sources, such as orders for production, orders for internal consumption, sales orders, and others, in a single subsystem.
- To implement a complex automation of end-to-end processes such as manufacturing. purchasing, warehouse, sales and preparation of the foundation for the continuous development of the system.
Solution architecture and project scopeThe production support subsystem is based on 1C: ERP Enterprise Management. The following functions have been automated:
Purchasing (supply) and management of relations with suppliers
- placing orders for suppliers;
- planning of purchases;
- management of relationships with suppliers;
- supply chain management;
- accounting for the arrival of goods and materials.
Calculation of the standard cost of orders.
Warehouse and logistics
- control and accounting of serial numbers, expiration dates and certificates;
- reservation of goods and materials;
- management of warehouse stocks;
- inventory of goods and materials in shop storerooms.
Customer orders are generated in the web interface of the B2B system. Data on orders goes to 1C:ERP Enterprise Management, where it is further processed by sales managers.
Number of AWPs: 200.
Average number of connections to the base: 170.
Features and the uniqueness of the project
The rapid organizational changes and growth of BIOCAD significantly influenced the course of work and the specifics of the project. In view of these features, during the maintenance process, regular improvements and development of the existing system were carried out, and a permanent professional team was needed with a wide range of competencies in various functional blocks to solve complex problems at the junction of functional blocks.
The uniqueness of the project is associated with a complex scheme for consolidating information from geographically distributed production sites and company offices around the world:
- 6 company offices
- 2 warehouses of import divisions
- 26 research laboratories
- 4 production sites
- The specialists introduced a mechanism for material and technical support of research activities throughout the enterprise. The information system maintains up-to-date information on warehouse balances in laboratories, which allows purchasing managers to quickly meet the needs for a specific project. Timely creation of documents of requirements in laboratories also allows you to control the budget of departments. The cost of goods and materials is written off for a specific research project, according to the information, further analytics is possible when planning future budgets. This mechanism has reduced the time labor costs of employees by 15%.
- They implemented the functionality of maintaining minimum balances in the warehouses of the organization. As a result, the accuracy of planning the inventory level in the supplying warehouses increased by 19% due to the transparency of the consolidation of the needs of the divisions and supply logistics. The functionality allows employees to take into account the duration of delivery, depending on the various options for the supply chain, and flexibly decide what level of inventory is necessary and sufficient for the smooth functioning of departments.
- The functionality of operational support of production at the production sites of St. Petersburg was introduced. The production accounting of materials supplied in the departments allows calculating the cost of products, planning shipments from supply warehouses and analyzing the availability of finished products (at sites in Moscow), semi-finished products (substances produced in St. Petersburg).